Three of EUMHC’s sides enjoyed phenomenal cup runs in 2018 with each of the 1’s, 2’s and 3’s managing to get to their respective competition finals day on Scottish Hockey’s famous ‘Scottish Cup Finals’ day on May 5th 2018. An early bus from the university carried the teams on what would prove to be a unforgettable day

Men’s Reserve Plate Final (Pitch 2) | Edinburgh University 3s 7-1 Hillhead 3s

Edinburgh University 3s were on fire in the Men’s Reserve Plate Final with a 7-1 win over Hillhead 3s in the final.

It took 16 minutes for the opening goal and it went to the students. A huge roar from the crowd greeted a strike by Jordan Fitzpatrick to get the ball rolling.

It went to 2-0 as University settled into their groove and a penalty corner finish by Hugo Howarth doubled their advantage.

Fitzpatrick finished off a lovely penalty corner routine to make it 3-0, it was a lovely move that saw them string some quick passes together in the D then set up a tap-in for the goal.

Soon enough came another goal for Edinburgh when Scott Thompson smashed the ball against the backboard from close range.

Hillhead pulled one back when Craig Hilton struck to make it 4-1 but a second goal for Howarth restored the advantage for Edinburgh at 5-1.

It was 6-1 when Howarth secured his hat trick before Tom Marchmont added his name to the score sheet.

Men’s District Plate Final (Pitch 2) | Aberdeen GSFP 2s 0-2 Edinburgh University 2s

Edinburgh University 2s ran out winners of the Men’s District Plate Final with a 2-0 victory over Aberdeen GSFP.

It was a competitive affair with both sides looking dangerous in the opening stages of the match.

It took 22 minutes for the opening goal of the game and it came via the stick of Monty Kilpatrick to give Edinburgh University 2s a 1-0 lead.

The contest raged on and in the second half Edinburgh University 2s furthered their advantage. Guy Allen was the scorer from open play to put some daylight between the teams.

The day went the way of Edinburgh University 2s and they ran out 2-0 winners to lift the Plate in Glasgow.





Men’s Scottish Cup Final | Edinburgh University 3-6 Grange

Grange were not in a mood not to be messed and in the opening 20 seconds, Frank Ryan swept the ball home for an early lead. Edinburgh University started their fight back, playing around the back however a loose pass allowed Grange to steal the ball, resulting in a second goal from Frank Ryan via a deflection off the goalkeeper, prompting a roar from the crowd.

The scoreboard read 3-0 soon after as Joe Waterson received the ball in the D and reverse swept the ball into the far corner.

Edinburgh University began fighting back with Peter McKnight scoring a cracking shot, striking right into the left corner bringing the score 3-1.

A penalty stroke was awarded to Grange after a slight scuffle in the D. Callum Milne stepped up to the plate, and made it look easy as he tapped it in to the goal for 4-1.

With ten and a half minutes to go, Luke Cranney found himself dodging Edinburgh University defenders to score a perfect reverse strike from the top of the D, putting Grange into a 5-1 lead.

Edinburgh University managed to gain a penalty corner, the first and second unsuccessful, but third’s a charm, as Kevin Wong stepped up to score a great strike from a quick pass from Chris Duncan, bringing the halftime score to 5-2.

The second half started off strong from both sides, with Edinburgh University coming out fighting, and Captain Gordon Amour getting his name on the scoresheet, bringing the game to 5-3.

With 16 minutes to go in the game, John McCluskey scored from a deflection bringing Grange into a 6-3 lead. Edinburgh University fought to the death and Chris Duncan was denied by a great save from the Grange keeper.



As a result EUMHC managed to leave the famous Scottish Cup Finals day having won 2 out of their 3 finals. The day capped off a phenomenal season for the club however all attention now turns to the 2018/19 season! Who knows how we may do on Cup Final Day 2019!